Friday, January 07, 2005

One thing I didn't learn in my German class...

...was how to say "moment of silence" in German.
As I was walking into my gym from the parking garage this past Wednesday, I heard an announcement being made in German over the P.A. system. All I caught was that something was happening at noon. I took the elevator up to the reception area, and said hello to a couple of staff members....no response. I walked a few more feet, said hello to a couple more people...blank stares. Suddenly, I notice that the entire gym was silent and that all the people were standing with their heads bowed. As it turns out, there was a three-minute moment of silence at noon throughout Europe for the victims of the tsunami.
So that's what the announcement over the intercom was all about. Doh!!!

No comments: