Thursday, August 30, 2007

I Won't Do That Again!

I bought a "fresh" tuna fillet, late this afternoon, at the local grocery store. There was a bright orange sticker on the package indicating that it was marked down by 50%. I looked at the "sell by" date, and it was today; hence the discount.

Feeling that it might be a bit risky, I put the Thonfisch back on the shelf, looked at a few other pieces of fish, picked up the 50% off fish again, looked it over, determined that the discount was worth the risk, and...threw it in the basket.

A few hours later, I seared it on the BBQ. Normally, I would only sear it for about 90 seconds per side, but since the fillet was a bit old, I decided to sear it for 2.5 minutes per side; a total of five minutes. It tasted fine, although I thought it was bit overdone.

An hour after dinner, I was in the midst of a torrential downpour.

...and I'm not talking about rain!

I guess you get what you pay for.

NOTE TO SELF: Don't ever buy fish on the "sell by" date again! EVER!!!

5 comments:

christina said...

Yikes. You win some, you lose some, I guess. I'm pretty wary of buying (supposedly) fresh fish here the best of times. You just never know.

Get well soon, eh?

The DP said...

out of curiosity, was it migros or coop? I just bought some supposedly fresh from migros...scared now

Unknown said...

Ouch! That happened to me with Smoked Salmon in Geneva 2 times. I never put 2 and 2 together until after the second time!

Hope you are feeling back to normal now.

The Big Finn said...

cncz- It was the packaged fish from Coop. We usually don't have any problem, but I guess I just picked up a bad piece.

Anonymous said...

Fish is good for you, they always say. I just had no idea it was a tool for reducing your weight as well. Just wish the fish had nicer ways of achieving its goals.