Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Double Shot

Mrs. TBF and I had our H1N1 and seasonal flu shots yesterday evening.

As some of you already know, Mrs. TBF works for one of the world's largest pharmaceutical companies, and apparently they want to take care of their own: FREE H1N1 and seasonal flu vaccinations (both manufactured by the previously mentioned company for whom Mrs. TBF works) for all employees and their spouses/significant others/children. Figuring that I'm not as young as I used to be, and considering the fact that I would never turn down something FREE in Switzerland (free Basler Leckerli being one of the few exceptions), I decided to go for both.

Seeing how I have had two rather unpleasant bouts with flu over the past two winters, I figured it was time to start getting a seasonal flu shot. Hell, I might have already had the swine flu last December, but since I'd be getting one, why not get two for the price of one? Oh... did I mention that they were FREE? Oh... I did? Sorry about that.

Not only were the shots FREE, but we also got some FREE water (a choice of still or sparkling!) after the shots while we were sitting for ten minutes to see "if you have any kind of reaction"! We didn't.

So far so good!

7 comments:

CanadianSwiss said...

OX and I also had both shots. I just thought that the facts that
a) we aren't getting younger
b) taking the tram to work each day at peak times during flu season
and
c) working at the same company as Mrs TBF with daily contact to international travellers would indeed increase my risks of getting it. PLUS as you mentioned, its free :-)

islandgirl4ever2 said...

Hey TBF --

Keep us posted on how you are both feeling.. Just curious to see if you pick up any flu symptoms from the vaccine itself.. I used to get slight flu symptoms from the flu shot.. years ago.. but it's DEFIN. better than having the real flu... YUCK!!
GOOOO FREE!!! FREE FREE FREE

Sara said...

we got them for free in Canada also! Yay Canada! (no working for large pharmaceutical company required).

The Big Finn said...

Leesa - No symptoms to report at all.

Sara - My home and native land!

Rrraj said...

FREE here in Suomiland too. Yay to welfare states!

Unknown said...

From what I read about the vaccine, I do not think it is possible to pick up symptoms from the vaccine since it's not a live virus they are giving you.

The flu shot is a live virus however, so there could be more posibility of catching a flu virus. As well, I've also read it takes 10 days to be effective for H1N1..

We've had 3 people in my department get the hiny, as they have nicknamed it... Not such a wonderful feeling..

I might pass along that the recommendation of always sneezing into your curve of your arm is a great idea. The germs subside faster there and it's much more safe as your arm normally doesn't touch such surfaces which others touch moments later (ie door handles)...

There's my rant...

The Big Finn said...

Sneezing into the curve of your arm is a great idea: maybe it's good for health, but it's not good for the clothes.