Saturday, July 31, 2004

I ate horse last night...

You read that correctly. I didn't eat like a horse, but I actually ate horse.
Some people might not realize this, but the French and Swiss actually think there's nothing wrong with eating horse meat. That's right. You can buy it in our local grocery store.
Last night, our neighbors David and Coletta (who are moving back to the U.S. in a couple of weeks) invited a bunch of us to their private work club. David has worked for the Bank of International Settlements (BIS) for the past year, and the BIS has a private club not too far from here. It's really a nice club...pool, tennis courts, restaurant, etc. Well, we looked at the menu, and one of the things on the menu was a Stroganoff made with little bits of horse meat. My neighbor Andy and I were intrigued, so we ordered it. It wasn't bad. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy it at the grocery store or order it off of a menu again, but I wouldn't turn it down if it was offered to me either. Incidently, I recently read that one of the biggest suppliers of horsemeat in the world is....the U.S.A. I think it's actually illegal to serve it in America, but that doesn't stop them (actually Texas is the largest producer) from exporting it all over the world. So, I've eaten horse...sorry all of you animal rights people.

No comments: