Monday, May 09, 2005

Another year....another Cinqo de Mayo Party!

This past Saturday night, we had what I would consider our best Cinqo de Mayo Party since we moved to Switzerland. We had about 25 guests, Mrs. TBF's food was great, and the drinks flowed freely. The only thing that wasn't good about it was the weather. But, that's pretty normal for our Swiss Cinqo de Mayo parties. The weather kept us from using the rooftop garden, but it probably also kept us from disturbing the neighbors which, in turn, probably kept the police from showing up at our door.
I think what made this party especially fun for us was the fact that we had a very mixed group of people. Previous CdM parties were pretty much neighborhood soirées (...French lesson later today!), but our guests at this party were made up of old neighbors, some of Mrs. TBF's co-workers, people we know from outside of our old neighborhood, and even some out-of-towners.
The most common question I heard throughout the night was a slightly slurred "....what the Hell do you put in these things?!?!?" (referring to my Margaritas). This was usually followed some time later by an even more slurred "....I need your recilpe flo sleez Mergrititaaas!" So, here it is:
Mix equal parts of Tequila, Grand Marnier, and Rose's Lime Juice.
Wet the rim of a glass with lime juice.
Roll the rim of the glass in crushed sea salt.
Put some ice in the glass.
Pour the concoction over the ice.
Squeeze a lime into the drink.
Enjoy!
The recipe actually calls for 2 parts Tequila, 1 part Grand Marnier, and 1 part Rose's Lime Juice, but I think it's definitely strong enough (and tastier) if you use my recipe.
I also made my Mexican Iced Teas, but they weren't as popular this year as in year's past. Here's my recipe for M.I.T.s (they're basically Long Island Iced Teas with the addition of Triple Sec):
Mix equal parts of Gin, Rum, Tequila, Triple Sec, and Vodka and pour a shot or two into a glass over ice.
Squeeze a lemon wedge into the glass and drop in the lemon.
Top off the glass with Coke.
Enjoy.
As for the M.I.T.s, you can just mix all the alcohol together and leave a bottle of it in the fridge so it's always ready for unexpected guests. Then you just pour a little into a glass over ice, squeeze in a lemon wedge, top of with Coke, and your guests are served in less than a minute.
I've been informed by some of my guests that they woke up with hangovers on Sunday morning. Sorry! I guess I should warn people that these drinks go down very easily, but that they really pack a punch.
Maybe next year I'll put a little warning label on each Margarita glass.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tim. I would suggest a BIG warning label just in case one decides to read it after the 3rd glass has caused slight visual impairement ;-)