Monday, June 28, 2004

Dominique Has Diarrhea...

It's the start of a new week, and Dominique has diarrhea. I noticed it starting yesterday afternoon, but today it actually progressed to the very rare stage of her pooping in the house. Fortunately it wasn't too big of a mess. I was able to clean it up with a couple of paper towels, and then I brought her outside for the real explosion. I've gave her some medicine at 17:00, and the worst part is that I can't feed her now for 24 hours!! That's definitely going to be worse than the diarrhea. She's going to be begging for food every waking minute until tomorrow evening at 17:00.
The weekend started out on Friday night with a BBQ at David and Coletta's house. They're from Maryland, and they live three doors down from us. They moved here last August for a 1-year term which means that they'll be heading back to the U.S.A. pretty soon. It was a nice evening, and good food, drink, and fun was had by all.
On Saturday, Jo Ann played some tennis in the morning, and I just did some odds and ends around the house. In the evening, the Diethelms came over for a Juhannus celebration. I thought that Juhannus was the Finnish celebration for the longest day of the year, but Anne (she's Finnish) informed me that it's actually the name-day for the Finnish name - Juhanni. Certain days of the year correspond to different Finnish names in Finland (yes, there is a Timo day). So, Juhannus is actually the name-day for Juhanni, but it always comes around the summer solstice. Therefore, I think it's pretty much evolved into a summer solstice celebration too. Anne, Roger, and the kids brought over a bunch of food to go along with the stuff that Jo Ann and I made, and I really ended up eating a lot. After dinner, we lit a fire in our little patio fireplace. Of course the Finns actually light gigantic bonfires, but I didn't think the neighbors would be too excited about that. The best part for me was that I was able to speak Finnish with Anne and the kids. My Finnish has been getting pretty rusty, and I needed a little practice. I think that these German lessons I've been taking have affected the way I pronounce my Finnish words - which is not a good thing.
Yesterday (Sunday), Jo Ann left for NJ. She took the 12:46 train to Zurich Airport, and then she flew to NJ via London. She called me around 4 a.m. to let me know that she had arrived safely. Other than that, I didn't really do too much during the day. I smoked a cigar, and I had a beer with one of my neighbors (Steve)...that was pretty much it.
Today, I was woken up at the ungodly hour of 08:15 when Chris (my ex-next-door-neighbor) called me with a question. The rest of the day has been spent pretty much doing little odds and ends, making a few phone calls, doing laundry (but using our neighbor's dryer because ours is broken...it's being fixed tomorrow), and going to M Parc (our local shopping center...if you can call it that) for a few things. Oh, and also bringing Dominique out every hour or so to make sure she doesn't have an accident in the house.
Now that I mention it, she's just jumped off of the sofa. So, I guess I better bring her out again.

No comments: