Tuesday, June 22, 2004

My First Earthquake!!!

We had an earthquake just after 01:00 this morning. Jo Ann had been out with some work colleagues, and she didn't get home until after midnight. So, we got to bed kind of late. Just when I was falling asleep, this rumbling sound woke me up. The rumbling got louder and louder, and then this little metal window sculpture which is on our patio door began to rattle. Then, it was over. I think it only lasted for about 2-3 seconds. As far as pets being able to predict earthquakes - not ours. Dominique was snoring away throughout the ordeal, and I have no idea where King was.
This morning, Jo Ann woke me up right when she was leaving for work. Usually Dominique and I walk with her to the tram in the morning, but sometimes she lets us sleep in. She called at 09:00 to wake me up, and she told me that she found out that the earthquake was 3.8 on the Richter Scale, and the epicenter was only a few kilometers away in Pratteln. So, there you have it - my first earthquake experience. I think there have actually been a couple of earthquakes since we moved here, but this was the first one I ever felt.
Now, it's about 10:30. Dominique and I just had our morning walk, and I've had a couple of cups of coffee. I'm ready to begin my day. I have to go to the furniture store and put in the final order for our patio furniture (they close for lunch from noon to 13:00 which is pretty common around here), do a quick house cleaning, and then make some dinner. Jo Ann is home for dinner tonight and tomorrow night, and then she has another dinner out on Thursday. She was actually supposed to be in Ljubljana, Slovenia tonight, but she had to cancel the trip because she's too busy at work.
Yesterday ended up being a fairly lazy day for me. I had lunch, walked Dave and Jane's dogs (Toby and Sam)which I do three times a week, worked out at the gym, watered the garden, ate some leftover curry for dinner, read magazines while watching England defeat Croatia 4-2 in Euro 2004.
-Reinach, Switzerland

No comments: