Monday, June 21, 2004

It Was a Pretty Uneventful Weekend...

We had one of those weekends where we didn't really do too much.
On Friday, Jo Ann came home from work fairly early, and we had some dinner. I made some pasta with pesto sauce (pesto from the freezer made with basil from the garden), and endives. The endives were excellent. It's a recipe that Dave and Jane often use which is just basically endives baked with lardons, bay leaves, and garlic oil....easy, and very tasty. Now that I think of it, I don't know if I every ate endives before I moved to Switzerland. After dinner, we kind of just relaxed, and we went to bed fairly early.
On Saturday, I woke up early (08:24) because some kids were playing outside making a ridiculous amount of noise for that early on a Saturday morning. I saw who two of the boys were, and they're ON MY LIST! We think our neighbor, Sammy, was one of the kids. But, when he was confronted later that morning, he denied it. Next time, I will have digital evidence!!! I guess I really shouldn't complain too much. Afterall, I think there's been a lot of noise coming from our backyard on occasion when we've had a fire on the patio. I guess the main things we actually did on Saturday were that we went to Möbel Roth and picked out a new teak patio furniture set, went to Coop and bought some groceries, and then we had Simon (Jo Ann's boss) over for dinner. I went to pick Simon up, because he gave me his lawn mower (he doesn't have a lawn anymore) and I had to pick it up. Rosemarie and the kids are in Cyprus for two weeks, so Jo Ann figured that we should feed Simon. We ended up having a curry, and then we watched the Euro 2004 match (that's soccer for everybody in America and Canada) between Holland and the Czech Republic. The Czechs actually came back from a 2-0 deficit and won the game 3-2. One thing I have to say...
Growing up in America, I pretty much shared the opinion of most people from North America that soccer is a boring sport. However, since I started watching Euro 2004, I've decided that it's not actually that bad. I'm not going to go out and buy season tickets for FC Basel or anything, but I can now actually stand to watch a game. Sure, there's not enough scoring (which could be resolved if they eliminated calling offsides), but it does have its moments of excitement.
Yesterday, Jo Ann wasn't feeling too well. She's been battling a cold/allergies for the past week, and she was coughing a lot. So, we just stayed at home. We were going to go to the Art Basel show at the Messeplatz, but we blew it off and just had a lazy day. I smoked a cigar in the backyard (while Jo Ann told me I stunk, as usual), Jo Ann did some stuff for work, she made a pizza for dinner, and then we watched the Euro 2004 match between Spain and Portugal (1-0...exciting stuff!!!).
I had a tough time falling asleep last night. Maybe it was because I drank a cup of coffee around 21:30, and also because I had engaged in very little physical activity throughout the day. So, I listened to Absolution (by Muse) on my headphones...twice. And, I think I finally fell asleep around 02:00.
This morning Dominique and I walked Jo Ann to the tram around 07:45. It's time to get going...This is the last week my gym is open before the two-week summer holiday. Imagine that people in North America...my gym actually shuts down for two weeks in the summer. They say it's so that they can clean it and do normal maintenance, but I think it's so that everybody can take vacation at the same time.

No comments: