Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Local celebrity???

I just returned from bringing King to the vet for his bloodtest. The fasting, ride to and from the vet, and blood test went fine.
Tonight, before we go to the Kansas concert (Mrs. TBF's just sooooo excited. Yeah, right!), I'll call Dr. Buser to find out if there's anything wrong with King. Hopefully he still has a few good years in him. Afterall, I did just spend about twenty francs on netting for the balcony to keep him from...well, you know.
As I approached our parking garage, I saw an elderly man with a big beer-belly waving to me. So, I waved back. He looked confused, and when I looked in the rearview mirror, I noticed that he stared at my car for the longest time. Here's why:
We live right by this restaurant called the Bottmingermühle (Bottmingen's mill), and the owner has the same exact Jeep that we have. It's the same year, same color, same interior...everything's the same except the license plate. The owner of the restaurant (which our neighbor Suzanne calls the "Myuuulaayyy" which I find really funny), is this 50ish gentleman with a big beer-belly who tends to wear white t-shirts. Today, as I was passing in front of the restaurant in the Jeep wearing a white t-shirt, the beer-bellied pedestrian, who obviously frequents the joint, must have thought I was the owner of the restaurant. Upon passing, he realized I was an imposter...and then he probably proceeded to call the police to tell him that the "Myuulaayy-mobile" had been stolen. Not really. My guess is that he walked across the street to this restaurant to check things out with the owner, who probably then told him that it's not illegal for other people in Switzerland to have the same vehicle as him.
Anyway, this isn't the first time this phenomenon has happened. The first time it happened was back in March when Mrs. TBF's mom was visiting. We were driving to the grocery store, and she said: "...there's some old man waving at you!" I kind of put two and two together, and realized what was going on. It's happened a few times since then, and I find it all rather amusing.
On a sidenote: The absolute best thing about the "Myuuulaayyy" (she kills me!) is that it closes at 2:00 p.m. on Saturday afternoon, and it doesn't open again until Monday. THIS RESTAURANT IS CLOSED ON SATURDAY NIGHT!!! Can you believe it? I've never heard of anything like it before in my life! There's a bowling alley in the basement, for God's sake!!! They'd make a killing on Saturday night just from beer sales. But, no! They're closed. I can understand Sunday. But, Saturday??? Mein Gott! You've gotta love the Swiss!

No comments: