Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Happy birthday to "The Wall"!

Pink Floyd's masterpiece album - The Wall - is 25 years old this month. OK, you caught me, it was actually released on November 30, 1979. But, since I got it as a Christmas gift in December, 1979, I'm celebrating the 25th anniversary this month. I can't even begin to count how many hours have been spent listening to this album/CD. First, in my bedroom in Wheeling, IL on my Radio Shack stereo with my black light on (how 70s!), then in my various dorm rooms in Evanston, IL. Then, I bought it on CD in the late 80s, and soon it will go onto our new iPod.
Yesterday's German lesson, of all things, jogged my memory regarding this album. Carmen - my German teacher - used the words "der Mauer". When I asked her what it meant, she said in English: "The Wall...like in Pink Floyd The Wall". My first thought was...Rock on, Carmen!!! Then, she spoiled it all by pointing out to me that the album came out the year she was born. Damn!

No comments: