Monday, September 25, 2006

Sluta Löpa Gatlopp...

I think this is Swedish for something like "stop running the gauntlet". It was on every bus in Stockholm.

After taking the train from the airport, I walked out of the main station to see a passing bus with these bright green words. I thought they looked strange, and I tried sounding them out in my head...sluta löpa gatlopp...sluta löpa gatlopp...nothing like Finnish....sluta löpa gatlopp...sluta löpa gatlopp... Now I can't get the damn phrase out of my head (just ask Mrs. TBF!). At one point, I even made up a little song with the words sung to the tune of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Lord help me!

I became obsessed with photographing Sluta. A bus would go by...Sluta would be on the other side. Another bus would go by...I wouldn't have my camera ready. The umpteenth bus would go by...the lighting would be wrong. Finally, I managed to photograph the elusive Sluta. Mission accomplished!

My mind is currently a labyrinth, my friends. I need to de-sluta-ize myself before I can begin sorting out my Stockholm thoughts and memories. Perhaps I need to run my own gauntlet by means of a strenuous workout and a sauna at the gym in order to clear my head.

I'll be back soon. Hopefully...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am happy to see you are picking up on the most useful phrases available and not some useless words... :D
But I hear that Täbygallerian (the shopping centre that your phrase advertises) is well worth a visit.

Unknown said...

ah yes a workout is always good.. can't wait to hear more!

CanadianSwiss said...

You making up a little tune to Chitty Chitty Bang Bang is scary, but did you happen to read the purple sign on the window of the bus (upper left)?? Pretty funny if you have a knowledge of German :-)

Sal DeTraglia said...

I don't know what "Sluta" means in Swedish.

But I can guess what it means in Italian.

Youa know what I meana?