Tuesday, September 12, 2006

We're Not In Italy Anymore, Mrs. TBF...

And, you know how I know? I'll tell you how I know. I know because I don't see any fountains around Basel that look like this! Not only was this fountain in Amalfi incredibly beautiful, but it was also very functional.

Our last night in Amalfi involved us picking up a few things to bring back home (Amalfi lemons, Amalfi dried chili peppers, Limoncello, etc.), debating with the store clerks over the V.A.T. refund on a purchase from a local ceramic shop that we were having shipped home (we won the debate!), and stopping for a drink in the piazza before walking over to one of our favorite restaurants in Amalfi for dinner. While we were enjoying our pre-dinner drinks in the piazza, I noticed that the locals would actually stop at the fountain for a little hydration. Seriously! I would guess that at least 25 people stopped to drink from the fountain as we sat there watching the Amalfi "walk of life". So...

"...when in Amalfi, do as the locals do..." is what I always say. Well, I actually have never said that before, but it sounds good...

7 comments:

CanadianSwiss said...

Are you drinking from a guy?? I would have expected you to go to the "mermaid(?)" fountain for a sip ;-)

The Big Finn said...

CS - You'll notice in the first picture that there is no water coming from the mermaid's nipples. I have a feeling that the lines of pervy tourists became too long, so the town's leaders decided at some point to have them turned off.
I just drank where everybody else was drinking.

Michael Lehet said...

OMG - She's got the biggest nozzles I've ever seen on a woman before (granted I may not have the biggest span of knowledge on that topic though).

The Sour Kraut said...

I see you're wearing your outfit again. Wearing the outfit and drinking from a guy.

Unknown said...

great pics... But what I notice, I think you're tan enough to confuse you with someone from a water locked island like Hawaii or something close to that...
(and that's not a bad thing)

The Big Finn said...

TSK - The outfit is slightly different. I wore a t-shirt with it instead of just wearing the sweater. I opted for the sweater draped over the shoulder like the Italians do. And yes, I am drinking from a guy...not that there's anything wrong with that.

ET - Yes, I definitely "got my tan on" on this trip.

CanadianSwiss said...

Yes, I did notice the mermaid was a bit dry... :-) But it's okay drinking from a g.... I'd better shut up now before I saw something that I WILL regret!