Tuesday, January 15, 2008

The Pot Calling The Kettle Black...

Before this morning it had been 53 days since I had last driven a car.

I had to bring King to the vet this morning for a follow-up blood test to make sure that he's getting the right amount of thyroid medication. The last time I drove was the previous time I brought him to the vet - November 23rd.

After the last vet visit, Mrs. TBF told me that she thought I should book the Mobility car every other week, or so, so that my driving doesn't "...get rusty."

Yes, I believe...no, I'm CERTAIN those were her exact words.

"Wait. You mean, like, to practice driving?" was my startled response. I pretty much just agreed with her, glazed over, and then...proceeded to completely dismiss her advice as something one would say to a retarded person.

I'm happy to report that the fifteen kilometers of driving I did this morning went completely without incident. No accidents and no King pooping in his crate fiascoes like last time. Not even anything remotely resembling a close call.

I got to thinking yesterday about the not-getting-rusty comment, and the more I thought about it...the more annoyed I became. No, I didn't make a big deal about it, but I did manage to very casually drop in a "...when was the last time YOU drove a car?" during dinner last night, and it turns out that Mrs. TBF hasn't driven a car since she drove a rental car during a business trip back in November; something like 103 days ago!!! And no, I made no "rusty" comments of my own - although I'm sure I could have come up with a real zinger.

But hey, no worries, Mrs. TBF. I'm minutes away from booking a rental car for when we're in Chicago in a couple of weeks so that I can get in some driving practice. Wouldn't want to get rusty, now would I?

Sheesh...

The nerve of some people!

7 comments:

Mrs. TBF said...

I love you too.

The Big Finn said...

Oh, ohhhhhh...

That was fast!

Michael Lehet said...

You'll get lots of practice in Chicago...especially Defensive Driving while holding a cigarette, talking on your phone and drinking a starbucks while you're driving with your feet!

rswb said...

I'm just about to go for a practice drive! Admittedly that's because it's a manual (and I haven't driven a manual in about 4 years), and possibly also because I almost never drive ever and also because all this wrong side of the road business in Switzerland makes me confused back in Australia about where on the road I should be, so I suspect it really will be practice, and the possibility of crashing into something or running off the road or stalling a lot will be very real. Sigh.

islandgirl4ever2 said...

HOLY SMOKES!! I haven't driven since Nov. 2006----- and we are going back to California in April for three weeks... YIKKKEEESSS!!!

J said...

I had only driven about 15 km in the three years preceding my move to Germany. I didn't miss it and still don't like driving.

Jul said...

I can't remember the last time I drove a car, but it was at least 3 years ago (maybe 4). And yet I've acquired 2 new driver's licenses during that time...