Wednesday, October 27, 2004

I took care of a couple of good old boys last night.

Our neighbors Dave and Jane have two old dogs - Sam and Toby. Sam is a Black Lab, and he is 14 years old. Toby is a Golden Retriever, and he's an older than dirt 15 years old. I normally walk them three times per week. However, since Dave and Jane were both in the U.K. last night, I was called into feeding and sleep-over duty. Along with the two old guys, Dave and Jane also have two Siamese cats with attitudes - Schnüffi and Nuni (I think that's how you spell their names), and I was given the task of feeding them also. I'm happy to report that everything went very well. Toby did have to go out at 1:00 a.m. for a quick pee, but that was better than the alternative which would have been me having to clean up a pee accident upon waking up. Actually, I only faced two challenges.
First, I had to kick Schnüffi and Nuni off of my bed that Dave was kind enough to set up for me in the living room. They had no interest in giving up the bed, and they gave me quite a bit of lip when they had to be forcibly removed. Second, Toby parked his old carcass on the floor at the head of my bed right under my pillow, and he proved to be quite the windbag. I can honestly say that prior to last night, to my knowledge, I had never in my life been woken up by a fart smell. I can no longer make that claim. Toby saw to it that I woke up four times. Sam and the cats were nowhere to be seen. So, it was either Toby or me, and I'm blaming Toby.
I woke up at about 6:30 a.m., and neither one of them seemed very interested in going outside. However, fresh air was of utmost importance to me by this point, so I became the militant dog sitter and forced them to leave the comfort of their warm home for a rather crisp morning here in Reinach.
The cats even joined us for our walk. One big happy family!

No comments: