Although paying taxes isn't one of my favorite things in the world to do, it is nice to see that tax money is being put to use right in front of our apartment.
I, like my friends the Expatters, have noticed that Basel is suddenly inundated with road construction projects. Why? I have no idea. All I know is that we are the proud receipients of this road construction project which is clearly visible from our balcony.
I've noticed similar projects taking place all over town, and I have to admit that I'm a little perplexed. What EXACTLY is the point? Here's how I see this particular project:
1. Men begin jackhammering a perfect square around a sewer hole cover around 7:30 a.m.I still can't figure out exactly what has been accomplished. But, then again, who cares?
2. Men exacavate the just jackhammered rubble out of the square.
3. Men take two-hour lunch break.
4. Men fill in the recently excavated square with fresh asphalt.
5. Men leave cones around freshly paved area creating traffic mayhem and complete chaos in front of our building for days.
At least it's better than nothing!