Tuesday, August 29, 2006

And, We're Off!

Tomorrow morning at 8:30 a.m., a taxi will whisk us away from our apartment to Basel Airport for a 10:40 a.m. EasyJet flight to Naples. If all goes as planned, a driver will be waiting for us at Naples Airport holding a sign with our last name on it, and then he/she will drive us to our hotel in Amalfi. I'm not really sure when we'll arrive at our hotel. I'm guessing, barring any delays, that we should be at the hotel by 2 p.m.

That's right...we're going back to Amalfi - to the same hotel we stayed at last year. Oh, and by the way, make no mistake about it that Mrs. TBF has been getting an earful about the fact that this year's score (so far) is: Italy - 2, Finland - 0. Since Rome is booked for Christmas, and no trips to Finland currently appear on the agenda, it seems as if the 2006 score is going to end up being: Italy - 3, Finland - 0. I'll have to do something about that next year.

Unlike our blogging buddy Sal, I have absolutely no qualms about letting would-be burglars know that we'll be away for ten nights. Go ahead...rob us...what do I care? That's what home insurance is for. Plus, I wouldn't mind some new crap anyway. Just don't hurt King...that's all I'm asking.

I called the hotel this morning. The conversation went something like this:

Hotel: Bongiorno!

TBF: BON - JORNO! I'll be arriving tomorrow afternoon, and I was wondering if I could ask you a question.

Hotel: Yes-a. What-a is-a your-a name-a please-a?

TBF: [TBF]

Hotel: Yes-a. I see that you are-a a repeat guest-a. You are a Leaders Club-a member-a, and you have-a a private transfer-a, and you will be arriving in-a the early afternoon-a.

TBF: Ummmmm...yeah. Well...I guess you know more than I do... Ummm....before I pack all my cigars...is cigar smoking still allowed by the swimming pool [Italy has adopted strict smoking laws...bastards!!!]?

Hotel: Yes-a. There is-a no problem-a smoking in the open air-a. Have a pleasant journey!


The next time you hear from us, we'll be in Italy. Today's high in Basel was something like 13˚C/56˚F. I'm expecting a little more warmth in Italy. The laptop and camera are already packed, so expect some updates.

Ciao!

6 comments:

CanadianSwiss said...

Arriverderci TBFs and have a great-a time-a!!

Unknown said...

oh man! Have a wonderful time. Can't wait for photos!

Kirk said...

Ah, Italy...when we drove to Tuscany last year, every time we stopped to pay a toll on the motorway Gretchen wouldn't let me pull away until we heard the machine say with great enthusiasm "ARRIVEDERCI!". We look forward to tips for our trip later this year...

Sal DeTraglia said...

Hi. This is Sal. I'm writing this on your Mac...from your living room.

Hey, don't worry. I've fed King, brushed her and clipped her nails. Really, you ought to be a little more diligent about clipping those nails. She nearly tore off my earlobe as I was climbing through the window.

Hey, a couple things. First, where do you keep the Worcester sauce? I've been all through your pantry, and I only see Dijon mustards.

The other thing is that I need to borrow a shirt, but yours are all a bit big for me. Do you have anything smaller? Perhaps black with short sleeves and a 15.5 inch neck?

Oh, damn! Your phone is ringing. I'd better get that.

Have a good time in Napoli, Finns. And be sure to eat a Pizza Margherita.

Sal

The Big Finn said...

Sal -
King would like to know: Why does everybody refer to him as a her (...KING...get it?)?
Ok...so far my insurance claim is going to include one bottle of Worcester sauce (in fridge, third shelf on door), and possibly Dijon mustards (next to Worcester sauce). That's just not going to cut it since we carry a high deductible. I know...maybe you should take all of my XXL Tommy Bahama shirts (sorry...nothing in your neck size) that are now too big for me and hand them out to anybody who wants them. That way, I can file those on my claim and get some money for them instead of just giving them to charity. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr Big,
if you would like to write a short travel article about smoking cigars in italy for the Aficionado of Cigars then. Please send it to reviews@aficionado.org.uk. Sorry, I can't pay any money but you'll get some fame...