Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Big Time Savings...

July is a big vacation month here in Switzerland. I'd swear that every other household has either taken off for their mountain retreat to spend countless hours hiking and communing with nature, or they've hightailed it to some far-off land to do whatever it is Swiss people do while they're on vacation. As a result of this mass exodus, Basel is pleasantly empty right now.
I guess what is pleasant to me is NOT good for the Swiss grocery chains' business. That is why my grocery store of choice - Coop - puts out a coupon book every July so that the few of us who remain will help ensure that the ever-growing pile of Swiss francs in Coop's bank vault keeps getting bigger and bigger.
Last week, I used my "Bon" which entitled me to five times the normal amount of Superpoints with my Coop Supercard. With the Supercard, you get a point for each Swiss franc you spend, and then you use your points to buy things from a catalog. When I saw this coupon, I decided to go through the apartment and jot down non-perishable things (gotta stock up on toilet paper for Perry and Renee's next visit) that we constantly use onto a shopping list. When the big day came, I went to Coop, filled up the cart until it was heaping, handed the cashier my Bon, and collected 1750 Superpoints on my CHF 350.05 purchase. CHA-CHIIIIING! We're now up to just over 12,000 Superpoints which means that I can purchase a number of items from the catalog. However, nothing's really looking good at this point, so I think I'll just keep saving the points until I can trade them in for something really cool. Past purchases: one of those contraptions that holds five liquor bottles upside down and then pour the perfect shot (it's never been used!), and some really cool walkie-talkies (we've used them about three times!).
Today, I used this week's Bon to save 20% on wine. Let me tell you, 20% savings on wine is friggin' unbelievable in Switzerland. Believe me, I was all over that 20% coupon when I saw it. That's why, I rolled my cart up to the cashier earlier this afternoon with a bag of lettuce, a few fish filets (what the hell kind of fish is Pangasius anyway?), twenty-four bottles of GSM (the everyday wine of choice at Chateau TBF), and my Wein Bon clutched in my sweaty hand! I saved CHF 76.35 (about $60 U.S.). Damn...I should've bought more!
And...the insanity does not end there........NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Next week, there's another Bon for "5x Superpunkte mit Ihrer Coop Supercard auf Ihren Einkauf".
Maybe this evening, Mrs. TBF and I will have a glass of wine or two and start next week's shopping list.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

I was just remarking about not getting deals in Switzerland. But I guess you are really taking advantage of it! WOW - we'd love to save that mmuch money on wine too... Too bad it's like the most expensive place to buy wine here....

Beejum said...

I notice it's in the mid 90s there today. I would guess that is one good reason the Swiss flee to the mountains now? I have been working on Pimsleur's German lessons, so I have to practice now! Ich habe nur ein bißchen Wein. TBF haben viel Wein. Ich mochte auch etwas Wein kaufen mit dem Wein Bon!

Barry said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
CanadianSwiss said...

I remember you mentioning the 20% off on wines last Saturday. I may go tomorrow. I've seen the GMS before, but have never tried it. Now's the best time to do so, right?

The Big Finn said...

ET - I guess that's why my uncle in Sudbury makes his own wine. As a matter of fact, I think that home winemaking is pretty popular in Canada.

Beej - Where ya been? It sounds like the German is coming along nicely. Your German's probably already better than mine.

CS - Don't forget that you need the coupon that you received in the mail from Coop. Hopefully, you didn't throw it out.

Bobby The C said...

I see you are censoring your comments. Whatever happened to a free society?

Anonymous said...

You sound like sad Basle Housefreau, collecting coupons and shopping for your wife. Are you gay?

The Big Finn said...

TMS - The comment was censored by "the author", which was not me. Please pay attention. The only time I ever delete comments are when they are advertising comments, just plain stupid, or say something nasty about friends or relatives. I think I've only deleted comments a couple of times since I began my blog.

Anon - I'm actually a HAPPY Basel Hausfrau. No, I'm not gay. Why? Are you looking for a date? By your spelling of Basel, it appears to me that you are from the U.K. Try London - I hear they have a very active gay community. I'm sure you will be received with open arms.

Bobby The C said...

How dare you! Of course I knew that.

Beejum said...

I have been around, just haven't posted much...just went through hubby getting ACL reconstruction surgery so my brain has been otherwise occupied. Now I'm getting back in to trying to learn some German and doing more research on living in Basel. No way my German is better than yours! After I posted that I spent some time thinking 'should I have written it as TBF habst or TBF haben?' I was thinking Sie haben from tapes, but haven't learned the proper times to use the other form yet...though I think TBF habst is probably the right way. Thank you public library for supplying the CDs! I'm still waiting for the Pimsleur's Swiss German though, darnit! That's the one I really want.

The Big Finn said...

Beej - I've had four knee operations in my nearly 44 years. Playing baseball (catcher) wrecked them for life. I injured my knee once about fifteen years ago during a sales call (long story) and went to the doctor for x-rays. He told me that I had the knees of an 80-year old man (I was in my 20s at the time!). My best wishes to your husband for a speedy, and complete, recovery.

Anonymous said...

I thought "good price" and Switzerland were incompatible phenomena, but I must admit I was wrong.
But on the other hand, I had no idea it was typical for sad housewives to be gay, so it seems I have to brush up on my knowledge on a number of things...

CanadianSwiss said...

I couldn't find the coupon! Tough titty! I'll have to be more carefull nest time.

Kirk said...

AH! I got the coupon for wine at Coop this week and forgot to use it! Dammit!