Wednesday, July 05, 2006

If A Picture Paints A Thousand Words...

...then why the heck can't I take one on 17th July 2006 (that's July 17, 2006 for all us North Americans)?
I took this picture a couple of weeks ago whilst Mrs. TBF and I were walking through London. Apparently, some nutter (a Brighton based photographic artist named Becca) wants us to put our cameras down on that particular day (Ummm...isn't that bad for business?) so we can all find our "...natural creativity with communication" while at the same time "...understanding the inadequacy of the photograph in describing this essence" and other zen rubbish. Oh, just read all about Non-Photography Day for yourself. Go on, then!
Apparently, Becca came up with the idea for this day after "trekking through the Jungle on the Thailand/Burma Border with a group of travellers." Oh yeah? Prove it! What, take your word for it? I don't think so! I bet you wish you had some pictures. Come on...admit it! You do, don't you?
Now that I think about it...
Do you think Becca would be pissed off to find out that I actually took a photo of her(?) "Non-Photography Day" sticker? I mean, COME ON! This is free publicity spreading the word of her cause! If I had just told you about it, you'd probably think me mad. But...if a picture paints a thousand words, then why can't I paint you... Sorry about the double reference to Bread's song "If" - it's truly one of my guilty pleasures to which I'm not ashamed to admit.
Anyway, remember not to take any photos on July 17, 2006. REMEMBER...NO PHOTOS ON JULY 17, 2006!!! The Zen/non-photography police will be out in force!

14 comments:

Unknown said...

While I'm still on vacation at that time, I'll be sure to snap a few just for her!

Anonymous said...

TBF,

It seems that Becca has inspired quite a bit of discussion of her idea on the internet. If you do a Google search on her name, Becca Bland (I'm not kidding), you will get back 65,000 hits!

Many think it is a great idea, others seem to be organizing a counter-movement. One of the funniest comments I saw was from some guy who found an online gallery that hosts her pictures and there were no photos displayed! His comment was that obviously everyday is Non-Photography Day for Becca Bland!

Ciao!

-Perry

The Big Finn said...

Perry -
Thanks for the research. YOU are definitely living for the moment (of not being busy at work).
BTW...Perry is Mrs. TBF's brother for those of you who don't know. Did I hear a rumour that he and Mrs. Perry are going to be visiting us later this year, or early next year?

Unknown said...

pics are up just for you tbf :)

Anonymous said...

To me, it seems dear Becca has FAR too much time on her hands, and she should be advised to take up some really time-consuming hobby to help her from thinking little thoughts like this one, which are bound to mutate into huge projects.
I normally don't take a lot of pictures, but now I find myself seriously thinking about snapping an entire film on the day in question. Just because I can.

Bobby The C said...

I agree with Tobias, I never take pictures but on July 17 I will commandeer the digital camera and snap away......

CanadianSwiss said...

Thank goodness the 15th is still ok. Do I have to takwe another "moon photo", or will we get the police here before?? Let's just wait and see. Markus will be here... Need a shave/haircut :)

The Big Finn said...

ET - Thanks. I think pictures with people in them are much better.

TMS - Of course you agree with Tobias - you Swedes always stick together.

Anonymous said...

TBF: especially Swedes stick together against Finns. Our national sport since 1809, if I am not mistaken...

Bobby The C said...

TBF have you ever shared your father's theory on Swedes with Tobias. Tobias, TBF's father thinks that all Swedish men are gay. While I have no problem with gay people at all, it is rather concerning that people would feel this way. Now we Swedes know that all Finns are actually simple minded but that is a well known fact. Right?

Anonymous said...

Becca is a very interesting person and this is an idea that can work anywhere where tourist flock.

The Big Finn said...

TMS - To say that my father thinks Swedes are gay is not entirely accurate. To say that MANY FINNS accuse Swedes of being gay is much more accurate. Just do a Google search for "finns think swedes are gay" and you'll find your answers as to why (Tee sinun oma kotityätä sinä iso HOMO!). I have asked Swedish people in the past if they are aware of the fact that Finns think that Swedes are gay, and all the Swedes have told me that they're aware of it...but not really sure why.
My parents read my blog regularly, so my father will comment if he chooses to do so.

Anonymous - Becca: thanks for visiting my blog!

The Big Finn said...

Perry - Do a Google search on "The Big Finn" and you'll get over 9 million hits!

Anonymous said...

TBF,

Yeah, but the coolist part of that is your website comes up as the first hit! You are Number 1, baby!

-Perry