Friday, July 14, 2006

La Guillotine Will Claim Her Bloody Prize..

Here's wishing one and all a very happy Bastille Day. Please don't make the mistake that I made a few years ago when I decided to pick July 14th as a day to drive to France for a little dropping off of dry cleaning at 5 à Sec and a little grocery shopping at Géant - they, along with everything else, were closed.
As I crossed the border into France at St. Louis, I noticed French flags flying from every streetlight. That's something new...how nice..., I thought to myself. It was only about 8:30 a.m., and the streets were practically deserted. As I pulled up to 5 à Sec, I was excited to see that there were a bunch of empty parking spots on the street right in front of the store. Wow! I've never scored one of those before!, I thought - still clueless as to what was going on. I parked the Jeep, walked up to the store, pulled on the door, and...locked. That's when I noticed that the lights were off and nobody was inside. That's strange... That's when I decided to pull my head out of my arse, and take a look around. It was at that point that I noticed that every single store was closed and there was not one car parked on the street. Regardless, I still drove to Géant to see if by chance they would be open until noon on Bastille Day - NON!
So, having learned from past experience, I will remain in Switzerland today. Of course, I'll have to play Bastille Day by Rush every hour or so to celebrate the day. Of course, I have the studio version and several live versions.
Mrs. TBF loves July 14th...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Bastille Day to you too, whatever the link between happiness and la Bastille may be.
But the French would take any excuse to close their shops down, everyone knows this.
And the French revolution goes on...

Unknown said...

We were thinking of Bastille day while eating breakfast with some Frenchies in the desert of Canada. It was nice and brought back my memories of 2003 when I got to go to Paris for the event. Something that will stay with me forever, incredible!

Anonymous said...

Funny how non french people relate to the 14th fo July.
We do not call it Bastille day and we do not wish each other 'happy bastille day either'
you guys are funny. Although I feel sorry for you that you experienced the 14th and its consequences...
Makes me laugh just say it
Joyeux 14 Juillet. if french people would hear me, they would think I am crazy, but hey I can return the compliment.
Anyway we french are weird. This date does mean something about the republic and its identity. I would not refer to a date of happiness though.
Sam

The Big Finn said...

Anon -
I don't really "relate" to Bastille Day. It's more that I'm just recognizing its existence.
It's pretty much the same as wishing somebody a "Happy Cinco de Mayo". CDM is an historical date pertaining to a war between the Mexicans and French, but I don't think it's really celebrated by Mexicans. It's just a made up American "holiday" that gives Americans an excuse to eat Mexican food and drink Mexican beer and tequila.
I realize that Bastille Day is not "happy". But, what would you say in front of it? Have a "reflective Bastille Day"? Have a "somber Bastille Day"?
BTW...sorry about the World Cup.