Wednesday, June 30, 2004

I Had The BEST Pork For Dinner Last Night...

Last night I had something called Schwein Halssteak for dinner. If my German translation is correct, it means pork neck chop. It's like the ribeye steak of pork...boneless, marbled, superb. It was so good that I ate the entire 803 grams/1.75 lbs. at one sitting. I know, I'm a pig. But, it was so good that I ended up eating the last steak which I intended on making into a sandwich for lunch today. I've never seen this cut of pork before in the U.S., so maybe it's a Swiss thing. Also, it was pre-marinated and very garlicy. I've had premarinated stuff from Coop (our local grocery store) before, and Jo Ann's always told me the next day that I stink. So, now I only eat it when she's out of town.
Late last night, after my wonderful pork dinner, I threw a load of laundry into the dryer and discovered that it still wasn't working. If you remember, I had a repairman out here yesterday. After I determined that it definitely wasn't working, I recalled that the repairman did say things in German to me that I didn't understand, and he did type a lot of stuff into a lap top computer that he had with him (I guess that's standard equipment for appliance repairmen in Switzerland). So, I figured that what he had told me probably had something to do with him having to order a part. I called the appliance repair service today, and the lady told me something that sounded like "flyypa vindeli googen hassen KKRRRKKKCHCCCHKKKKKKKK flieeeesssssst." It was your typical totally undecipherable Swiss-German dialect which I describe as sounding like a person speaking English backwards while scraping ice off of their windshield. I'm not really sure what she said, but if I don't hear back from them in a couple of days I'm going to have one of my Swiss neighbors give them a call. I just ended up using my neighbors' dryer, so I'm all caught up with the laundry now.
It's another beautiful day here in Basel, and I think I'll go out and catch a few rays. Then, maybe a quick trip to Coop at Gartenstadt, dinner, and then I think Paul will be coming over to watch the Euro 2004 match tonight.

No comments: