Friday, July 09, 2004

Funny How Nobody Is Talking About Global Warming Now...

The weather in Basel has totally sucked this week. It's been cool and rainy for most of the week. We've had a few fleeting moments of sun, but I'd have to say that it's been about 90% dreary this past week. Last year at this time it was about 35ÂșC and dry as a bone. The doomsdayers were making it seem like the human race had about 3-5 years left due to global warming. Even this spring everybody was ranting and raving about global warming. But isn't it funny that when you have a week or two of cool weather, the fear of global warming totally disappears? Do I think global warming is an issue? Yes. Do I think that it is something we should be gravely concerned about? No. As with 99.9% of the problems that have faced mankind through the years, technology will prevail. I mean, come on...when's the last time one of your friends or neighbors died from the Black Death? It might take a while, but sooner or later we'll figure out some way to use technology to reverse the effects of global warming. Hopefully it's sooner than later. I read an article somewhere that some doomsdayers predict that by about 2012 Holland will be completely flooded and that Belgium's coast will be constantly rocked by hurricanes. I guess only time will tell. But I for one am not looking into retirement property in Hammerfest, Norway so that I can spend my winters in balmy comfort. I'll take Hawai'i any day!!!

1 comment:

The Big Finn said...

The Big Finn will always be supreme over the "medium Swede". I scoff at your post, and to prove my superiority...I deleted it at will!