Tuesday, June 21, 2005

It's 11:04 p.m.

After seeing Kansas, we pulled out of the parking lot at 10:50 p.m. We were home at 11:02 p.m. How convenient. One question: Does playing at an old warehouse in front of about 500 people in Pratteln, Switzerland really count as being a part of a "European Tour"? That's what it said on the t-shirts they were selling for 35 CHF a pop. Actually, it said "Kansas - European Tour 2005".
Seriously, if I had tried, I probably could have snaked through the crowd and touched the stage. It's kind of sad.
I first saw Kansas at Alpine Valley in East Troy, Wisconsin in probably 1978 or 1979. My guess is that they played in front of 20,000 people. Then, I saw them at Poplar Creek in Hoffman Estates, Illinois in 1980 in front of 18,000 - 20,000 people. Shortly before we moved to Switzerland, I saw them with Bob and Jackie (Mrs. TBF had conveniently planned a business trip for the night of the concert...after we had already bought the tickets) at Ravinia in Highland Park, Illinois. It must have been 1999 or 2000. I'm not sure how many people were there, but it must have been at least 5,000. Five years later they're playing in an old warehouse not too far away from the Pratteln IKEA in front of a crowd which isn't too much larger than their road crew probably was in 1978.
There were some good rock moments, but overall they sounded a bit old and tired. I'd skip seeing them when they perform at your kid's school's next PTA meeting.

No comments: