Saturday, October 30, 2004

1,500 days...and counting!

Today marks 1,500 days of retirement. My last day of work was September 21, 2000. Here are some FAQs along with the answers:

Do you miss working? No.

Will you ever work again? Hopefully not. It would take something like us suddenly taking a turn toward financial ruin for me to go back to work. If this situation ever comes up, I'll go back to work in a minute. Needless to say, I hope we never have to face this situation.

Is there anything you miss about working? I miss getting paid every month, but I don't really think about it too often. Every now and then I think about how much income I've missed out on, but it doesn't really concern me too much.

Don't you get bored? No.

What do you do all day? I go to the gym, take German lessons, grocery shop, walk Dominique, walk Sam and Toby, take care of the yard, write in my web log, update my website, cook, clean house, read, watch T.V., run errands, plan trips, do laundry.

What won't you do? I will NOT iron!

If you had to go back to work and could do anything you wanted to do, what would you do? My dream job would be a freelance restaurant critic, or I wouldn't mind being a butcher.

What's the best part about not working? I no longer have to deal with complaining customers, I have very few demands on my time, and Mrs. TBF and I can enjoy our evenings and weekends because we don't have to run around doing errands during non-business hours.

Is there anything you'd like to get off of your chest? Yes. I have to confess that I didn't really work that hard when I did work - I just had a knack for getting good results (my mantra was always - Work smart, not hard!). Since I was in sales, I figured that the results were much more important than how I went about getting those results. Although my bosses probably thought I was working my butt off, in actuality I was really loafing most of the time. I'd often make no sales calls after having lunch with a customer and go swim laps at a local gym (where I'd see other sales reps working out), read the newspaper in my car, stop at my sister's house and have some coffee and read the newspaper, go home early, or all of the above. Sorry Mike, Nick, Randy, and Larry...I hope this doesn't change the legacy of The Big Finn. Now that I've said all of this, I think I've officially made myself UNEMPLOYABLE. Thanks for letting me get all of this off my chest. I feel a lot better. Whew!!! I think I'll go take a nap!

No comments: