Monday, October 18, 2004

Another fine weekend of gastronomy...

As you might have read, Mrs. TBF and I were in Paris last weekend where I enjoyed steak tartare, frog legs, pig ears, etc. This weekend, Mrs. TBF was in Chicago visiting with family and friends, and I stayed behind to take care of the beasts and fend for myself. Fortunately, our friends came to the rescue.
On Saturday night, I went to a wine tasting party hosted by John and Rammy. There were 20+ people there, and we sampled many different wines and enjoyed a tasty buffet that Rammy prepared. The wine tasting is actually a competition (you have to guess the country, region, year, price, etc. of each wine) with prizes for the winners and the losers. My partner and I ended up being tied for last (I'm blaming my cold and a general lack of knowledge about wines), but my booby prize ended up being a nice bottle of wine. I had a good time, and I left with a full tummy and a nice wine buzz.
On Sunday, I woke up at about 10:30 a.m. and proceeded to be a sofa spud for most of the day. The highlights of the day were taking Dominique for a couple of walks and staring at (and not doing) my pile of German homework. At 7:00 p.m. I took the 15 second walk over to Dave and Jane's house where I enjoyed a nice dinner featuring steak and kidney pudding. It was my first time enjoying this British fave, and I have to say that I look forward to enjoying it again someday. It's kind of like chicken pot pie, but it's made with steak and kidneys (duh!) and the crust is made of suet. I know people from North America think of suet as something that you feed birds, but I'm thinking that the stuff that I was eating wasn't exactly the same thing. Jane showed it to me, and it comes in a bag and looks like little pellets. If I had to guess, I would say that it's kind of like Crisco shortening in pellet form. But whatever it is, it makes a damn fine steak and kidney pudding! Actually, the suet is what makes it a pudding....otherwise it would be steak and kidney pie. I left Dave and Jane's a little after 10:00 p.m., walked Dominique, sat in front of the T.V., and then suddenly noticed that it was 2:00 a.m. (Mrs. TBF being out of town causes me to return to my natural night-owl ways). I set my alarm for 8:30 a.m. so that I'd be able to make it to my 10:15 a.m. yoga class, and guess what? I slept through the alarm this morning and woke up at 10:12 a.m. I have to say that I had a good happy tummy sleep. It must have been the suet.
That's it for now. I have a pile of German homework to finish so that I'm ready for my lesson tomorrow morning at 10:00 a.m.!

No comments: