Saturday, October 30, 2004

I highly recommend the Gundeldingerhof Restaurant in Basel!

A group of eleven of us (Mrs. TBF's co-workers and the spouses) went to the Gundeldingerhof last night for dinner. This was the second time I had been there, and I have to say that I just love the place. We all just opted for the 5-course "surprise" menu and a bunch of bottles of wine from the eighteen page wine list. They basically just ask you what you don't like, and then you choose either meat, fish, or vegetarian for the main course. We ended up having smoked salmon with sauce on a bed of parsley sprouts for our starter, pasta with chèvre for the primi piatti, venison with polenta for the main course (the fish option was Seeteufel/monkfish), a cheese course, and then a tiramisu unlike any I've ever had before for dessert. These courses were washed down with several bottles of wine from Portugal, Spain, France, and Italy.
Mrs. TBF kind of starved herself during the day so that she could enjoy a bit of everything. She also shared some of her food with me, so I ended up having about and eight-course dinnner.
We had a great time. I look forward to going back there soon.

No comments: