Monday, June 12, 2006

Did I Hear Something About "The World Cup"?

When it comes to soccer...I can take it or leave it. I actually enjoy it if I make the effort to sit down and watch it. But, if I miss a game (or the entire World Cup for that matter) - no big deal!
I think my lack of interest in soccer comes from growing up in Chicago during the 70s where soccer ranked about 491st on the list of sports in which one would voluntarily participate (things have really changed in the last 30 years!). I was forced to play soccer a few times in gym class, but that was about it. Fortunately, the gym teachers always sensed our disatisfaction with "the world's most popular sport", and quickly replaced "gay" football with "real" (American) football, or dodgeball, or any number of sports which could result in one of us being wheeled to the nurse's office wearing a neck brace.
So there I was, blogging away, while Mrs. TBF watched "her people" (the Italians) playing Ghana in the World Cup. I wasn't really paying attention at all. Then suddenly, I heard the following: "Razak Pimpong will be coming in as a substitution for Ghana."
You know what? I'm gonna stop blogging and watch The World Cup. Any sport that has a guy named Razak Pimpong...is OK by me!
Oh...the game just ended? Well, there's always tomorrow - if I'm not too busy cleaning the litterbox, or ironing, or emptying the dishwasher, or...

6 comments:

Kirk said...

I was watching the game last night and the same thing happened with Gretchen. She was working on the computer, not paying any attention, and when he came into the game she was like "did I just hear them say ping-pong?"

Oh, and one of Brazil's best players is named "Kaka".

Gretchen said...

OK, this is weird, I was just going to post a comment about my reaction to "ping-pong" and I see Kirk has already done so...

Shouldn't he be working rather than commenting on blogs? He should leave that to the Hausfrau.

Mrs. TBF said...

Busted...looking at TBF's post at work...just like Kirk!!! But at least it's lunchtime for me.

christina said...

"gay football" - LOL. I wouldn't say that in public around here right now.

I've been watching the games on and off and the part I like best is the end where they all take their shirts off. Ask Mrs. TBF and whe will affirm this, I'm sure. :-)

Bobby The C said...

OK, I really tried. I got the boys up and in front of our 42" plasma screen EDTV to watch the games. We watched Beckham bend it like himself and all of that. These guys are truly great athletes,howyevah, it is gay futbol. Football is played by big mean out of control men-boys who have no regard for anyone but themselves. They hit and hit until and sometimes after the whistle is blown. It is more akin to Rugby. Now that is a sport.

Bobby The C said...

I am trying to censor myself as I used a term I myself am trying not to. It is not gay football. If I offended anyone, I am sorry. It is ........ wimpy football. Kind of just brought a very inappropriate version of bending it like Beckham to mind.