Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Impervious To Heat...

Do the Swiss possess some kind of gene that makes them completely heat resistant?

Today was a mix of sun and clouds with a high of about 27˚C/80˚F. It wasn't exactly humid by Chicago standards, but I would say that it was a little muggy at times when the breeze died down. Even though I was dressed in shorts, a sleeveless t-shirt, and flip-flops (Hey...what are you wearing??), I still felt a bit "sticky" at various points during the day.

On my way to the gym, I noticed that many of the Swiss were wearing jeans, sweaters, long-sleeved shirts, and jackets. I even saw one guy wearing a puffy, down, ski jacket...with a backpack on his back; he wasn't even breaking the slightest sweat.

I admit that I don't tolerate heat well - and that I'm a heavy sweater (I think it's the Finnish blood) - but, come on people! It was summer-like outside today. What's with the fall clothes???

I guess global warming/climate change doesn't pose that much of a threat to the Swiss. I guess...other than...those darn melting glaciers...and...the lack of snow at the ski resorts during the winter.

3 comments:

Global Librarian said...

And some days I get tsk-ed at because I will be wearing a light, summery skirt and a t-shirt when it is only 70 degrees. Obviously I am going to catch my death of cold!

I believe that anything down to about 65 degrees is well within the summer clothing weather margin.

Must be from growing up in Minnesota AND having Norwegian blood.

Jul said...

I must have some Scandinavian genes somewhere, too, because I have the lowest heat tolerance around. I was sweating on my way up the hill yesterday afternoon...

Unknown said...

I agree with you it's the scandinavian JEANS for sure.. lol

Yes I've noticed the same occurrance and I thought the swiss were completely nuts too..


By the way, I've seen this happen here in Vancouver too.