Sunday, May 29, 2005

My intentions were good...

I accomplished almost nothing on my "Things To Do List" yesterday. My plans were big, I tell you, but things got messed up right from the start. And...I'm not taking any of the blame.
I woke up at 10:15 a.m., and I figured that I'd have a couple of cups o' Joe and then get crackin' on that list (I'm sure my friend Dave in Chicago is in full cringe mode right now because of my spelling and grammar. He especially loves my use of "..."!).
At 10:35 a.m., while I was on my second cup of coffee, the phone rang. It was Andy, and he told me that he was going to pick me up in twenty minutes. "What are we going to do?", I asked. "We're going to pick up Sam (Andy's son) at the skate park, go have some lunch, and then go watch Sam's soccer game", was Andy's reply. Not remembering at this point that I even had a "Things To Do List", I told him that I'd be ready in twenty minutes.
When Andy arrived, I told him that I had to be home in time so that I could go to the dump by their closing time of 5:00 p.m. and drop off all the cardboard from my Weber grill and unload a bunch of garden clippings in their compost pile. After Andy gave me a "No problem!", I jumped into his car without a care in the world.
So, we did exactly what Andy said we were going to do. We picked Sam up at the skate park, went to McDonald's for lunch since we were a little pressed for time, and then we went to the Reinach soccer field. At this point, I discovered that Sam's game was actually about a half-hour drive from Reinach and that the Reinach soccer field was just a meeting point.
To make a long story short, we ended up going to Sam's game and Andy dropped me off at the apartment at...5:05 p.m. This means that I still have a huge garden bag full of clippings sitting in the roof top storage area and a pile of cardboard sitting in the foyer. Since the dump is only open on Wednesday and Saturday afternoons, I guess that means it'll have to wait a few more days.
But I figured that the day was still young and that I could still tackle a few items on my list. I called me neighbors - Corey and Suzanne - about storing some wine in their storage unit. It turns at that their storage unit is on level -2 in their building and our unit is on level 0 (that's the ground floor in Europe) in our building. Their unit stays nice and cool all summer and our unit is already getting to be too warm for storing wine. I brought some wine over to their unit, we took a few of their things over to our storage unit, they came upstairs to look at our new grill, I asked them if they wanted to have a drink, they invited me over for dinner (I brought my steak that I was defrosting and grilled it on their balcony), and I ended up getting home at 12:45 a.m.
Needless to say, not much was accomplished off of the "Things To Do List". Well, there's always tomorrow. Wait a's already "tomorrow" afternoon. Andy just called to see if I wanted to go to the pool. A Jehovah's Witness just rang my buzzer and asked if I wanted to talk about the problems facing the world today (I opted for literature in my mailbox)...No....NO....NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I've got to get some things done around the house. Mrs. TBF arrives at Basel Airport in a little over two hours, and I have to at least create the illusion that I did SOMETHING while she was away.
The time is NOW!

No comments: