Friday, July 20, 2007

Just Like Christmas...

I don't BEE-LIEVE what I'm seeing!

Could it be?

Is it...possible?

My suitcase is...

...A-LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVVVVVVVVEEE!!!

Three weeks to the day after my arrival from Chicago via London, my suitcase finally made it to Basel. However, I wasn't the only one...

I read in several articles about how BA had, at one point, anywhere from 20,000 - 25,000 bags just sitting unsorted either because of...a zillion different excuses. My bag actually went to Milan, where it was sorted (along with thousands of other bags), processed, and shipped to me in Basel...VIA FEDERAL EXPRESS (Geez...how much did that cost 'em?)!!!

What-evah!

I figured the bag would arrive at some point, and I never was too worried about, or inconvenienced by, its absence. Probably the thing I missed most was the little thing-a-ma-bob I wear on my front teeth that keeps me from clenching my teeth at night (NOTE TO SELF: Pack anti-clenching-thing-a-ma-bob in carry-on bag!); not having that kind of sucked! But, it seemed that Mrs. TBF (being a BA super-duper-double-secret-inner-circle-frequent-flier member) was much more annoyed by it than I was, and fully intends on voicing her concerns to the BA Executive Club...um...executives.

What-evah! Shit happens!

All I know is that my bag - locked, apparently never opened, and completely undamaged - is back in my clutches. And I have to say that opening it was a little like opening gifts on Christmas; there were things in there that I'd bought in Canada/Chicago about which I'd completely forgotten.

My friend Andy will be surprised to hear that my packing job (i.e., tequila bottle wrapped in bubble-wrap, inside a ziploc bag, stuffed inside a 7-Eleven Double Gulp cup), didn't set off any security alarms, and everything arrived in perfect shape. I even celebrated the bag's arrival last night with a little sip of the aforementioned tequila.

Tonight...we'll celebrate with something else from the "goodie" bag!

You'll love it! Just wait and see...

6 comments:

Michael Lehet said...

YOU....are officially the biggest ham I have ever known!

I'm so glad that you got your bag back!

Just think all of those clothes will seem brand spanking new!

CanadianSwiss said...

What could they have against one bottle of tequila? You're allowed to one liter, .... and they didn't see the other bag ;)

I'll have to ask you about that teeth clenching thingy next time I see you. I've started that habit eversince I started working again.

The Big Finn said...

michael - I'm also glad that I finally got my bag back. I added up the value of my bag ($225) plus the contents, and it came out to nearly $1,200. And...my bag wasn't really that full. It's amazing how much value there is in a couple of pairs of jeans, a couple of shirts, a pair of shoes, some underwear, my clenching mouthguard ($250), etc.

cs - It's not that they'd have anything against a bottle of tequila (plus a bottle of Canadian ice wine), it's just that Andy thought my packing job sounded like it would be suspicious looking.

Kirk said...

Ice wine? You really are Canadian...

(And yes, I know there are high-end ice wines, but I've never really developed a taste for the stuff.)

Anonymous said...

Well... I don't know. It seems to me the bag is not half as happy to see you as the other way around. Or is it just a bad photo? :P

The Big Finn said...

kirk - I have to admit that I've never really had Canadian ice wine before. We were having a dessert wine with friends a few months ago, and I suddenly blurted out that "...I'm going to buy some ice wine the next time in Canada...DAMMIT!" And...that's what I did. It was actually $55 for a small bottle at the LCBO. I'm wondering how riding in a 150˚F truck from London to Milan affected the flavor...

tobson - The bag is one like one of those Finns who never shows his emotions. He's happy...but just on the inside!