Friday, April 22, 2005

Did you miss me?

I just flew in from Chicago yesterday and MAN ARE MY ARMS TIRED!!! Well, at least the nieces like that joke... My flight left Chicago almost three-hours late due to electrical problems. That's always a comforting announcement when you're sitting in a plane on the tarmac....NOT!!! The pilot had to bring the plane back to the gate to be worked on. Then, during the flight, the intercom kept cutting out during the announcements, and I couldn't watch Matrix Revolutions because the screen had some kind of intereference (I guess they didn't solve all the electrical problems). Fortunately, I was able to watch "Spanglish" which I have to say was a pretty funny movie. In fact, I watched it twice and I have to give it The Big Finn Seal of Approval. I thought Téa Leoni was really good, but I thought Cloris Leachman was GREAT!!! That makes three good movies on my last three overseas flights. I watched "Anchorman" when I returned from Chicago last November (I laughed so hard on the plane that I had tears rolling down my cheeks and people were staring at me), and I watched "Meet the Fokkers" on the way to Chicago last week (it's one of those rare sequels that's better than the original!).
Anyway, I amazingly made my connection in Frankfurt with a couple of minutes to spare, and I was back in sunny Basel at 1:30 p.m. Actually, my luggage didn't make the connection, and that was probably a good thing seeing that I had bought a bunch of new clothes, shoes, etc. and I didn't have to walk through customs with a bunch of luggage. Instead, I just walked through the nothing to declare lane with my new 17" Powerbook in my backpack, and a small carry-on. I just checked my credit card online, and let's just say that the amount of stuff I brought back into Switzerland was "a bit" over the 300 CHF duty-free limit. We'll just leave it at that.
So, I had a good time in Chicago. I won't bore you with the details, but it was nice eating giant portions at the restaurants, seeing a huge assortment of clothes in my size at the various department stores, and of course seeing family and friends. I even saw my friend Carl whom I haven't seen since 1993.
Tomorrow I'll be back at Basel Airport. Mrs. TBF and I are going to Amsterdam for the weekend. So, I have to finish unpacking and then pack stuff for this weekend. We get back on Monday, and then Mrs. TBF leaves on Tuesday for Singapore.

No comments: