Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Take My Advice...

The C-BOPP diet (cigars, beers, olives, peanuts, & Pringles) is not a good weight-loss option. Trust me! I gained three kilos (6.6 lbs.) during our 10-day Amalfi vacation. I'm back to weighing my food, counting my points, and doing all the things I normally do to keep my weight under 97.5 kilos.

Yes, I'm proud of the fact that Mrs. TBF and I both worked out four times in the hotel gym during our stay. However, it was not enough (for me at least) to balance out the effects of the breakfast buffet, daytime/seaside C-BOPP diet, and the dinner offerings of wine, pasta, fried calamari, etc.

Each and every day at noon, I would walk over to the bar to place my order. I could have waited for "da Kid" (that's what we called one of the waiters) to come to us, but I figured that the 10 meter walk counted as exercise. At the bar, this daily conversation would take place:

da Kid: Prego!

TBF: One big beer [it was actually two beers poured into a large glass], and one San Pellegrino please.

da Kid: I brrring!

A couple of minutes later, "da Kid" would be would be setting BOPP down on the table and pulling his hand away quickly in order to avoid the embarrassment of me grabbing his hand and sticking it in my mouth by mistake.

You'll notice from the picture that the "midday edition" involved Mrs. TBF dropping the C and the B and sticking to the WOPP diet by substituting the water for the beer. Plus, she was kind of holding back on the PP, so she was really having more of a WO diet during the day. However, at about 2:30, I'd order BOPP round two (the C was long gone by then), and Mrs. TBF would switch from W to CAT (Cynar & Tonic). What? You've never had a Cynar & tonic? Let me tell ya, you're missing out on a refreshing summer drink.

Anyway...the long and the short of it is that Mrs. TBF did a better job of not gaining weight than I did. However, I did leave for the vacation almost three kilos under my goal weight (preemptive action against C-BOPP damage) which means that I am pretty much at my goal weight right now.

That's all well and good except for the fact that we will be in Stockholm next week where I'm sure I'll be no match for the ASS diet (Aquavit, Salmon, Smörgåsbord), not to mention the meatballs, peas with pork, cheesecake with cloudberries, cinnamon buns, etc.

I'd better stop typing and head straight for the gym!

9 comments:

Mrs. TBF said...

Dearest TBF,
I appreciate the confidence you have that I did not gain 3 kilos, but we'll never really know how much I gained because I refuse to get on the scale until I've had a week off the BOPP diet.

CanadianSwiss said...

Wow! Stokholm is more dangerous (food/calory wise) than I thought!

Jul said...

Wait, you gained weight in ITALY eating PRINGLES?

Could you really not find anything more delicious to fatten up on? In ITALY? In Switzerland, I would understand, but...

I'm very disappointed.

The Big Finn said...

Jul - Don't be disappointed. The bulk (95%) of what I ate was Italian food. Remember, Mrs. TBF is Italian-American, and she wouldn't let me get away without taking part in all that Italy has to offer. I certainly ate my fair share of pasta, Italian cheeses, local wines, local fish, Italian dried meats, etc.
However, I still prefer (and this really bothers Mrs. TBF) the "Italian" food in Chicago. I have yet to have a meal in Italy that blows me away - and we've eaten at some pretty nice restaurants.
There...I've admitted it in public!

Michael Lehet said...

I love the fact that the sunscreen is labeled as "Protective"

Unknown said...

Lol - I still can't get over those accronyms... Sounds like fun to me!

Dixie said...

You need to do a show for the Discovery Channel. Travel In Accronyms.

Jul said...

OK, I feel a little better. Maybe.

I'm with Mrs. TBF on the Chicago vs. Italy question, just in case there's a rumble later...

Anonymous said...

I would guess I would feel the same way as TBF about the food. I am sure I would like authentic Italian food, however, I love Chicago style Italian. The sweet tangy "gravy" tossed over a large plate of pasta with big old meatballs etc.... Holy crap, I'm hungry!