Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Who'll Stop The Rain?


Maybe at some point in the future, we'll actually have a party on a day when it doesn't rain so that we can use our roof-top in it's full party-potential glory.
On August 1st, we were almost there. But right when the fireworks started (it was Swiss National Day), so did the rain. The picture on the left shows Mrs. TBF at around 6:00 p.m. having a bit of a fret over the clouds. I told her not to worry because the weather forecast only called for a 20% chance of rain. "Besides..." I told her, "...those aren't rain clouds. They're just cloud clouds." She didn't seem too convinced, but the guests began to arrive and the rain held off. Mrs. TBF made some damn fine grub, I grilled some sausages and chicken breasts on the charcoal Weber (we gave "Helmut" the night off), the beer and wine flowed, and all seemed right with the world.

Then, just as the fireworks began, the first raindrops began to fall. "Don't worry..." I said, "...I don't think the hard stuff's gonna come down for a couple of hours or so." Andy, on the other hand, played the part of the doomsdayer by predicting a "torrential downpour." Well, as it turns out, it wasn't just a few drops and it was a torrential downpour. But, it turned out to be a steady rain which began a few minutes later and kind of brought the outdoor segment of the party to a grinding halt.
By the way, in the picture on the left you can barely make out the fireworks next to Kirk's head. That's right, THE Kirk of Expatter fame. His wife Gretchen is in Wisconsin visiting friends and family. I did want to point out that he IS married, because I told a few people at one point that he was our gay friend and I can't remember if I ever really added the "just joking" part (...beer, fresh air, roof-top...give me a break!). Of course, that's the beautiful Mrs. TBF in the foreground, and on the right is the back of "The Silver Fox" - our neighbor Corey.

After braving the rain under umbrellas for an hour or so, we got tired of sitting on the cold and damp roof. As soon as we finished our cigars (left: Andy and John) and the kids finished making s'mores on the fireplace, it was time to go inside.
I didn't really know about it until later on, but I saw Sammy with an ice pack on his hand and I came to find out that there had been a s'more mishap.


Apparently, one of the kids (I won't mention who) accidentally lost control of her s'more and burned Sam's hand AND the hand of our neighbor Mrs. The Silver Fox (a.k.a Suzanne). Mrs. TBF told me that Suzanne actually had scorched knuckles. I hope Sam and Suzanne's hands are feeling better, and that Suzanne's manicure wasn't too messed up.
But, despite the rain, I think the party went pretty well. Anyway...I had fun.

No comments: