Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Pizza, Pigs, and Pumpkins...

Last weekend in a nutshell:

A group of us went to a restaurant for dinner on Friday night. The restaurant is called Zagara, and we've been there many times. Mrs. TBF, especially, was really looking forward to having some of their pizza. We picked up the menus, took a look, and...NO PIZZA! As it turned out, the pizza oven was broken. Bummer! We had to settle for other Italian stuff...which ended up being pretty good!

On Saturday morning, we went to our 10:30 French lesson. Since we still had a real hankering for pizza, we decided to walk to a pizza ristorante after the lesson. We had our pizza fix! Afterwards, we did a little shopping, and then we decided to head back home. We walked out of a department store and saw THE PIG!! What? A pig in Basel, you ask? Well, not exactly. It's a tram that's designed to look like a piggy bank (advertising Kantonalbank). It's big, pink, has a big pig face on the back, and a coin going into a slot on the top. Plus, the inside is lined with wallpaper that looks like Swiss franc coins. It's pretty creative actually. For the past several months, Mrs. TBF and I have been mildly obsessed with "riding The Pig"! So, now it's Saturday afternoon, we walk out of Manor, The Pig goes by, I yell "The PIG!", and before we know it we're running to the tram stop. We made the tram, and now we can say we've ridden The PIG! I'm not sure, but I think it's going to make Mrs. TBF's top-ten list for the year.

Saturday night: I won't get into the details, but we went to John and Rammy's house for a wine tasting party. They belong to a wine club that has a monthly tasting. The tasting is actually designed as a competition, and the winning couple (and last place couple) actually win some pretty nice prizes. The contest is pretty difficult for an uneducated wine palate like mine. You have to blind test a bunch of wines and guess the grape variety, year, region, price, etc., etc. To make a long story short - Mrs. TBF and I CAME IN SECOND PLACE. I don't know squat about wine, but I managed to make some pretty high-percentage, educated guesses. I guess you could say I was in the proverbial wine "zone" so to speak. We had a nice time and made it home in the "wee hours" of Sunday morning.

Sunday: I woke up at the butt-crack of dawn (OK...really more like 10:00 a.m.!). We had breakfast, went into town to buy some groceries (only two grocery stores by the train station are open on Sunday), and then we made the first trip this fall to the PUMPKIN farm!


I love this picture of Mrs. TBF! She's just soooooooo excited that Pumpkin Season 2005 has finally arrived.
Afterwards, we went home, Mrs. TBF made some pumpkin soup, we grilled a couple of steaks, and watched football until the "wee hours".
Pizza+Pig+Pumpkins+Pig Skin = Perfect Weekend?

2 comments:

Michael Lehet said...

Why no picture of "The PIG"?

The Big Finn said...

I didn't have my camera with me. Sorry. THE Pig is very elusive. Maybe I'll capture him on film one of these days.